There Are No Fakes
From award-winning director Jamie Kastner and executive producer Mark Anthony Jacobson comes There Are No Fakes, a journey into the largest art fraud scam in Canadian history.
Musician Kevin Hearn of the Barenaked Ladies buys a painting, Spirit Energy of Mother Earth, attributed to Norval Morrisseau, the Ojibway founder of the Woodland School of Art. But Hearn begins to have doubts about the painting’s authenticity, and winds up suing the gallery that sold it to him. In short order he finds himself in the middle of a feud between two factions, each claiming to be the true defenders of Morrisseau’s legacy.
Questioning the authenticity of Hearn’s painting throws into doubt some 3,000 Morrisseau attributed works worth $30,000,000. Epithets are slung, suits and countersuits pile up, rocks are thrown through gallery windows…
Presented by the Thunder Bay Art Gallery in Collaboration with Magnus Theatre
Become a Member
- receive free admission to the Gallery
- subscription to eLINK
- discount on kid’s & adult classes
- 15% discount on most items in The Gallery Store
- free admission to almost 100 Ontario museums and art galleries via OAAG upon presentation of your membership card
- voting privileges at the Thunder Bay Art Gallery Annual General Meeting and other members’ meetings