Lessons: The Artistry of Learning
Lessons: The Artistry of Learning features work by artists dedicated to the accumulation and sharing of knowledge. While it might be tempting to think that an artist produces work alone in one’s studio, creativity in fact rarely takes place in isolation. Much thought, experimentation, and dialogue can inform art production. Thinking through, trying out and testing different techniques, for example, may come about through a wide array of interactions, ranging from engagement or studying with mentors, friends, partners, instructors, elders, knowledge keepers, communities, collectives, and the like.
Works by Moses Amik Beaver (1960-2017), Zoe Gordon, Sarah Link, Jean Marshall, Riaz Mehmood, Crystal Nielsen, and Mavourneen Trainor come together, collectively making evident how artists both accrue and communicate knowledge. The contexts in which they each learn, work, and teach are incredibly wide-ranging and so Lessons honours each one’s and, more broadly, all artists’ dedication to processes of learning in meaningful, exciting, and dynamic ways.
Become a Member
- receive free admission to the Gallery
- subscription to eLINK
- discount on kid’s & adult classes
- 15% discount on most items in The Gallery Store
- free admission to almost 100 Ontario museums and art galleries via OAAG upon presentation of your membership card
- voting privileges at the Thunder Bay Art Gallery Annual General Meeting and other members’ meetings